Sunday, September 24, 2017

acts of activism


I've been hitting the wall often lately. Bursts of intense activist energy, followed by crashes that are deep and hard. There is so much going on in the world these days, so much to be angry about, so much to be frustrated by, so much to expend energy on . . . sometimes/most of the time I forget that the resistance is not a sprint, it's a marathon.

Today I put together a weekly emailed newsletter for United Thru Action. I spent hours untangled and reconstructing lists and emails and contact info so I could send out a first official notice for newly elected and appointed County Committee members in Manhattan. I worked on t shirt designs for Rise and Resist's soon to be online store. Started putting together info for a website meeting this week. Dealt with a request to an emergency response team - all this after a 20 plus mile bike ride. I'm also finding that expending physical energy is helping me hold it together in this insane juggle.

Tonight a friend texted and asked if I wanted to meet up to chalk in Washington Square Park. While part of me was happy to take a break, it was hard to turn down rainbow chalk and artistic activism. We sketched out healthcare messages between the arch and the fountain, colored them in, and then watched as people took photos. 

Whatever it takes to get the word out works for me. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Election Day 2016 I was blown away by the crowds at my polling place, waiting for what seemed forever to vote. I ran from there up to t...