Friday, September 22, 2017

activist burn out


There are times when I'm so steeped in activism it's how I breathe. Planning, texting, emailing, designing, messaging, meeting, marching, marshaling—the energy is profound. The solidarity energizing. The commitment extreme and more than slightly obsessive at times. 

And then I hit the wall. 

That happens faster and faster these days. 

It's getting harder to sustain the drive, to remain completely immersed without completely depleting. 

And yet, there is more and more to protest, more and more who need support, more and more tragedy in the world that deserves attention and care. 

Yes, this is a marathon, not a sprint. But I hadn't been training for a marathon. Hey, I hadn't been training for anything and here I am, thrown in this whirlwind of constant and chronic action. 

I'm tired. 

I'm tearful.

I'm overwhelmed. 

I'm scared. 

But I'm taking a deep breath and leaping back off the cliff. Because that's what needs to be done right now. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Election Day 2016 I was blown away by the crowds at my polling place, waiting for what seemed forever to vote. I ran from there up to t...