Monday, October 2, 2017

government efficiency

I'm on day one of jury duty.

Our jury duty tour guide, a lovely man who's been talking basically nonstop since we got here, has mentioned the term "government efficiency" several times.

It always gets a quiet laugh mixed with groans.

I get it.

But I have to take a moment to seriously shake my head at the lack of potential juror efficiency as well. The number of people who were:

  • in the wrong building
  • in the wrong room
  • came on the wrong day
  • left to postpone after more than an hour of sitting here
  • didn't fill out paperwork that had been explained in detail countless times
  • are sitting on their phones despite the DO NOT USE CELL PHONES IN THIS AREA signs (I have to say I've been guilty of this)
  • asked questions specifically about information we'd be told over and over again
Jury duty isn't hard. I even had a moment, as the informational video we watched talked about jury duty being as important as voting, about how important it is to do your civic duty, thinking wow, I should be as enthused about this as I was about voting in primaries a couple of weeks ago. 

But nope. I'm not. 

Maybe if they had a fresh juice or muffin vendor stopping by, my opinion could be swayed. 10 minute massages. A manicure station. Make up lessons.

Spa Jury Duty! I'm sure that would entice more people to participate. 

Oh, and I'm on government wifi. Am hoping this passes muster and is ok to share with the world.

Lastly, knitting is prohibited. A quiet, mellow, stress reducing, creative, constructive activity that would certainly help me pass this endless wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Election Day 2016 I was blown away by the crowds at my polling place, waiting for what seemed forever to vote. I ran from there up to t...